B. Eng. (Hons) in Energy and Environmental Engineering (EEEN)
JUPAS Code: JS4462
The Energy and Environmental Engineering Programme at CUHK provides the engineering knowledge and training for its graduates to tackle a broad spectrum of energy issues pertaining to renewable, environmental and building technologies. The Programme puts forth a strong platform and broad-based perspective for learning and understanding the relations and trade-offs between energy and environment, and the ensuing engineering challenges in attaining viable solutions.
Interdisciplinary & Problem-Solving:
- Fundamental knowledge and problem-solving skills in energy principles, technologies, and systems;
- Interdisciplinary major required and core elective courses are co-designed with the Earth System Science Programme and the School of Architecture, and a host of elective courses from the Environmental Science Programme, and the Department of Geography and Resource Management.
Three Study Streams:
- Sustainable Energy Technology Stream, for enhanced coverage on renewable energy generation, system design, storage, distribution, and management;
- Green Building Technology Stream, for fundamental knowledge on environmental performance assessment and energy management of urban buildings;
- Environmental Engineering Stream, for principles of natural and built environments, and air pollution monitoring and control challenges.
Students will acquire fundamental knowledge in energy principles, technologies and environmental sciences, as well as the ability to facilitate solutions to problems related to energy technologies, environmental engineering, urban pollutions, building performance assessment and control, etc., that contribute to the well-being of our environment and society.
The knowledge and skills gained by students of the Programme will afford them strong career prospects. They will find employability in current and emerging areas of energy systems, environmental monitoring and control, sensor instrumentation, and smart and green building technologies, among others. They can land jobs in Government, electric companies and power grid enterprises, building and construction industries, consulting firms and green groups, renewable technology companies, and vehicle industries, to cite just some of the possibilities. They can also pursue postgraduate studies in their specialized areas of interest in Hong Kong or overseas.
New 4-year Curriculum (2017-18 & thereafter):
New 4-year Curriculum (2016-17):
New 2-year Curriculum (2017-18 & thereafter):
Outcomes-Based Approach (OBA) Teaching
Secondary school students taking Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary School Examination (HKDSE) should apply for admission through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS). The JUPAS code of BEng in Energy and Environmental Engineering is "JS4462".
Application Requirements (applicable to HKDSE applicants for 2018-19 onwards)
Admission is based on the Best 5 HKDSE subject results with subject weighting. For details of subject weighting, please refer to the table below.
In addition to the requirements above, bonus points will be awarded to the 6th and 7th subjects, if any.
Admission on the Strength of Other Qualifications
For local entrants:
Non-JUPAS (Local) Admission Scheme: Local students who possess post-secondary qualifications such as International Baccalaureate, GCE A-Level, SAT, Higher Diploma and Associate Degree can apply for admission to the programme. Details could be found in http://www.oafa.cuhk.edu.hk/adm/nonjupas/first-year-admissions/admission-requirements/general-entrance-requirements.
Senior-year Intake for Sub-degree Holders: Local students with excellent results in their Associate Degree or Higher Diploma study can apply for admission to the senior year of the programme. Details could be found in http://www.oafa.cuhk.edu.hk/adm/subdegree/senior-year-admissions/admission-requirements/general-entrance-requirements.
For International entrants:
- Students requiring a student visa to study in Hong Kong can apply for admission to the programme by using post-secondary qualification such as International Baccalaureate, GCE A-Level and SAT. Details could be found in http://www.oafa.cuhk.edu.hk/adm/intl/intl/admissions/general-entrance-requirements.
For Mainland entrants:
- Please refer to http://www.oafa.cuhk.edu.hk/adm/mainland/mainland for details.